As an established training and youth services provider within Cornwall, WREC’s Youth Engagement Project will enable the expansion of their proven work-based training activities throughout the region – including often underserved communities in the Isles of Scilly.
A new network of dedicated Well-being Counsellors will support young people to address health inequalities that intersect with multiple other vulnerabilities to limit outcomes, aspiration and educational and economic inclusion. Adopting an inclusive growth approach in accordance with the CIoS Good Growth Investment Plan amongst other local priorities.
The Youth Engagement project activities will include:
- Pre-engagement activities – addressing the needs of young adults who experience barriers to engagement, including lone parents, looked-after children, care leavers, carers, offenders, those involved in gangs, and young people with special educational needs, disabilities and/or mental health issues. E.g., sports, outdoor pursuits, and visits to local attractions.
- Accredited Employability Skills, workplace literacy, numeracy, and digital skills as a City and Guilds, NCFE, and Highfield approved qualification centre. They offer short vocational qualifications linked to local job opportunities and skills gap e.g. CSCS card for construction.
- Promotion of enterprise and entrepreneurship project work.
- Work experience and tasters.
- Job coaching and support including 1-2-1 and small group provision in the Newquay centre and outreach sites.
- Working with the Education Business Partnership to broker employer led opportunities to engage young people who are NEET, such as the successful ‘Meet and Mingle’ events for employers to meet with participants and promote job opportunities. They will work with other business organisations, such as the Federation of Small Businesses, with WREC’s Chief Executive is an FSB Regional Chair.
- Matrix-accredited Information, Advice and Guidance.
- Workshops and out-of-centre activities to develop resilience.
- Support to develop soft skills to overcome confidence, motivation and health issues.
- CBT for mental health, employability, financial wellbeing, and housing by BACP-accredited Wellbeing Counsellors.
- Weekly outreach in JCP premises.
To find out more and get in touch, please see: