South Crofty was once one of the most prolific production Tin mines in Cornwall. Cornish Metals Ltd. aims to bring the mine back to production for the first time since 1998.
The current development plan for South Crofty site identifies alternative locations for the office, dry and workshops required to facilitate the mines construction and operation. As work on site has progressed, it has become evident that the proposed locations are not ideal in terms of the proximity to the mine’s main operational focus.
The aim of this feasibility study is to establish whether a parcel of land is suitable for the construction of offices, workshops and the Mine dry for South Crofty Mine by incorporating the findings of:
- Initial desktop studies
- Extensive site investigation work and surveys
- Demolition surveys, relating to the dilapidated buildings on the site
- Architectural designs and QS report to provide a costed development plan
- Planning investigations and application to establish a clear planning position
- Public consultation on the proposed development
- Legal fees associated with securing the site and gaining planning approval
Successful Project Outcomes:
- A fully designed and costed plan for the site, enabling buildings to be completed at least 2 years earlier than first thought possible.
- Demolition of the derelict buildings resulting in a positive aesthetic, health and safety impact.
- The construction of the buildings would enable the creation of a further 300 direct jobs by bringing forward the mine operational date.
Successful Environmental Project Outcomes:
The feasibility study will analyse environmental impact and explore opportunities to maximise environmental technologies, including:
- Detailed demolition survey will identify materials which cannot be reused and establish the most environmentally conscientious method to dispose of them.
- Detailed designs will incorporate environmental principles including South Crofty’s ambition to make this a net zero facility.
- A review of the sites potential as a solar energy storage facility.
- Analysis of site renewable energy potential to minimise the environmental impact of the building (solar panels, heat recovery from mine water).
To find out more: